Frequently asked questions

What should I do if my child is ill and can’t attend school?

Please phone the school office as soon as possible each day to let us know if your child will not be in school.

Contact details can be found on our contact us page.

What opportunities are there to find out about my child’s progress?

Parents evenings take place in November and March of each year. This will be an opportunity to discuss your child’s academic progress as well as social.

If you wish to speak to your child’s teacher on another day, feel free to make an appointment for after school by catching them at the end of the day, or by ringing or emailing the school office.

Further to this you will receive a school report in July, detailing how your child has progressed over the year in the different aspects of the curriculum.

When are the INSET days for this academic year?

INSET days are usually listed on newsletters. You can also find them on our dates page and calendar.

When do mufti (non-uniform) days take place?

Mufti days are usually organised by the West Kidlington Friends, and will be put up on the whiteboard by the school gates in advance of each one.

What music lessons can my child take part in at West Kidlington?

Outside of our rich and varied music curriculum, your child can also take part in VIP music lessons. Currently on offer are lessons in guitars, drums, violins and cellos. If you would like to know more, you can download the from below or visit the school office:

Music Form

Which clubs are on offer at West Kidlington?

Visit our clubs page to find out more.

How do I find out if the school is closed due to snow?

If the school has to close due to severe weather, we will put the information up on our website home page early in the day. Local radio stations should also have updates about school closures in the area.

How should I pay for my child’s school dinners?

Please send in payment for dinners at the start of each week, in an envelope marked with your child’s name, how much money is enclosed and which days they want dinners.

We will soon be launching ParentPay. For more information, click here.

What is on the school dinners menu this week?

You can download the menus here to see what food is on offer each week.

How do I go about taking my child out of school during term time?

If you wish to take your child out during term time, you should write a letter to Mr Isherwood, the headteacher, explaining why this is necessary. He will write back to you letting you know of his decision. Every decision is made on a case-by-case basis.

What uniform does my child need?

Visit our uniform page to find out about our school uniform policy. Please ensure that all uniform is clearly labelled with your child’s name. If uniform has been unclaimed from lost property at the end of each term, it will be recycled. 

You can order school uniform from this website.

What do all these education terms mean?

Educational terms can be quite confusing when you are new to them.  Download this jargon buster to help you get to grips with it all: Jargon Buster.